Rojak Anyone?

Before you read this... Please read the disclaimer at the bottom of this post. Thank you... *LOL*

Couldn't sleep... So what could I do this late/early in the morning while I wait for the time to have my "sahur"? Surf... Here I was reading the news on The Star Online, surfing around when I came across blog posts from someone who looks to me like a chinese who married an indian. Reading his posts has got me thinking...

I grew up with a "racist" dad... Well... not exactly... we're not racist... all of us in our family grew up having non-malay best friends *due to the fact that we were forced NOT to speak malay at home and therefore are more fluent in english... (My SPM / O lvls equivalent Results - English A1; Malay C6) this made us the "arrogant malays" in goverment primary schools and our malay friends were like avoiding us.* My sis had Dhalita as her "Legendary Best Friend" in Secondary... and me being a "social butterfly" as some would say... changed best friends every year... so... the list of my best friends in school that I can recall were... Sin Sin, Vichytra, Sharmini, Hoong Bee & Kimmi.

So... why did I call my dad a "racist"? Growing up... I have memories of my dad shouting "Oi Keling!" to call out to an indian friend of his, his remarks while driving and spotting a reckless driver on the road would usually be "keling mabuk" (Drunk Indian) and one of his threats to me whenever I threw a tantrum was "Aku jual kat keling sampah karang!" (I'll sell you to the Indian garbage collector...!)... For those who aren't aware... Keling is a taboo word for indians... *while surfing... I read blogs who were of Indian race write about how people perceive the word "Keling" is to Indian just like "Nigger" is to the African-Americans. They can use it with each other... But we'll be shot dead if we used it on them.*

But then... Racist people... who are truly racists would do things like form underground societies like the KKK and wouldn't be caught dead standing in line, eating meals, being in the same room, have drinks with the people they are racist against wouldn't you say? My dad has plenty of indian friends... One of his closest indian friend even gave us a pet parrot which we named it after him *giggling*... And my dad is currently living in Sentul for heaven's sake... *If you are truly a racist against the indians... I don't think you would last 24 hours there... let alone live there*

Being a multi-racial, multi-religion country probably made us more tolerant with each other than most Western countries... We do have our "racial crisis'" once every blue moon... and have stupid politicians saying stupid racial remarks more often than once... but despite our differences... I dare to bet a million ringgit that every single Malaysian would have said something that was either politically incorrect statements, taboo words or racist remarks about another person who is of a different race when we're agitated, upset or even jokingly at least once in their lives both among themselves and to their subjects.

No... I'm not encouraging people to freely express their racist instincts... No... I DO NOT think that malay is the superior race... Did you know the word "Malay" in malay is "Melayu" which means "withering" and in jawa "Melayu" means "Run"? *hahaha! YES... RUN! as in CHICKEN RUN!... Nah... give you to use to make fun of us*

Most Malaysians today don't even really belong in the race their Identity Card state them to be... We are mongrels... If we were to really describe what race most of us belong to, our IC would have an option to state "Race: Rojak"... Let me give you a simple example...

My IC says... "Race: Malay"... Let's see now... On my paternal side... both my grandparents were immigrants from Java, Indonesia... as for my maternal side... My grandfather was Buginese *some tribe in Sulawesi, Indonesia who were well known as pirates at their time* and my grandmother was Chinese... So... Now... where am I Malay? I guess you could say that ethnically Indonesians are Malays... So like in any math solution...

Mas = 50% "Jawa" + 25% "Pirate" + 25% "Cinapek",
Mas = 75% Indonesian Blood + 25% Chinese Blood,
Indonesian = Malay *hmm... why are we called Malaysia?*
Therefore... Mas = Malay

Other examples? I have cousins who are 75% English + 25% Chinese and 25% Japanese + 25% Chinese + 50% Malay... these are only cousins of mine... I haven't even begin with the people that I know of... Our current PM is 25% Chinese heck... even our FIRST PM is 50% Thai!

My sis told me about how her chinese friend was trying to explain to the angmohs in London that he is Malaysian and not Chinese... and that he is NOT Malay... I guess it is quite difficult to explain since the angmohs don't know how we separate Nationality and Race... to them the Chinese are from China... so its better to say that you're Malaysian... but how do you explain looking like a chinese then? The poor guy ended up confusing the angmoh, my sis AND HIMSELF in the end.

So what's the point of having "Race" as part of our description as people? For those who believe in Biblical religions... We all came from Adam & Eve so we ALL have the same ancestors... Those who believe in Dharmic religions... for all you know... you might have been reincarnated from being the race you are racist about... and for those who believe in science as their religion... I don't think that DNA encodes race in its genes.

Since it really doesn't matter what race you are anyway... As a proud Malaysian... I will continue to call idiots who are indian "Keling", idiots who are chinese "Cinapek" and idiots who are malay "Melayu" *we dont need to have a special name to describe malays since withering and run is bad enough! LOL* because if you're an idiot... it doesn't matter what you are... you're still an idiot... I'm not condemning your race... Shortening an expression to a single word is simpler than saying something like "Bodoh punya orang melayu misai senget otak kat lutut kepala kemik" *If you feel that I am the idiot... by all means call me a Melayu... then tell me your race and I'll return the favour! Waaaahahahahahahaha*

Now... its time to eat! Itadakimasu!

Disclaimer: If you find this post offensive, please forgive yourself for blundering into my blog site. Also please do note that I did not intend this post to be racist in nature nor degrading. These are just thoughts that went through my mind while I surfed this early in the morning and no one to share with. Thank you come again. ^^

Comments

Anonymous said…
waaaah!!! mas updating more regularly than her akak!!!

bravo lil' sis! so proud of this entry that i will pay an arm and a leg to bail you out if you do ever get caught!!! *wink*

Popular posts from this blog

Wanna see something crazy?

"Come See!" What the... What am I? A freak show?

An update? OMG... The world must be ending soon!